Hair loss is a common problem, equally affecting men and women. It not only affects the sufferer’s looks but his/her self-confidence as well. There are many who browse through the internet to know about hair thinning and the best possible way to get rid of it. If you are also one of them, you have reached the right place. This article will cast light on hair loss causes, prevention and treatment. Read on to know more.
Hair Loss Causes
Sometimes hair growth naturally slows down and doctors don’t know why some hair follicles have a shorter growth period. However, there are several factors that may influence hair loss. Some of them include:
- Hormones: Abnormal levels of androgens – male hormones in both men and women – are the major cause behind hair loss. This could be because of pregnancy, child birth or menopause. Thyroid problems caused by hormonal imbalance may also cause hair loss.
- Heredity: Genes, from both mother and father, may be the factor behind a person’s predisposition to male pattern or female pattern baldness. It is the most common cause and occurs progressively in foreseeable patterns like receding hairline, hair thinning in women and bald spots in men.
- Drugs: Sometimes certain drugs such as chemotherapy medications used for cancer treatment, birth control pills, beta-adrenergic blockers for blood pressure control and blood thinners become the reason for temporary hair loss in many.
- Hair styling: Certain hair styles that pull your hair tight like cornrows or pigtails may cause traction alopecia. Some hair treatments also cause inflammation leading to hair loss. In case of scarring, you may suffer from permanent hair loss.
Hair Loss Prevention
Several effective hair loss treatments are available but if you do not want to face the trauma and discomfort caused by hair loss, it’s better to take measures to prevent the condition. Here are some tips for prevention of hair loss.
- Avoid hair damaging habits: Avoiding hair styles that cause pulling, tugging and tension is helpful to prevent hair follicle and shaft damage that leads to hair loss. Also avoid significant use of hair styling tools and products.
- Follow proper hygiene routine: Though of little benefit, regular shampooing and maintaining good hair hygiene is an important step towards hair loss prevention.
- Eat healthy: Good nutrition having sufficient iron and vitamin B is very helpful in healthy hair growth, and thus helps prevent hair loss.
- Treatment of underlying condition: The best way to prevent hair loss caused by some medical condition is treating the underlying condition like hormonal imbalance, thyroid disease and anemia.
Several options for hair loss treatment are available and choosing one depends on the type and severity of your hair loss. Non-surgical hair treatments are an excellent option for those who suffer from significant hair loss and want to regain fuller scalp without going under the knife. Here are two non-surgical hair loss treatment options.
- Topical and oral treatments: Minoxidil and finasteride are two medications that are often used in hair loss treatment. Minoxidil is available in topical form that is applied on the scalp to stimulate hair growth. Finasteride is prescribed oral drug available in the form of pill. These medications can be used separately or in combination according to practitioner’s recommendations.
- PRP hair loss therapy: It is a non-surgical procedure in which Platelet Rich Plasma from your own blood is injected in the scalp to stimulate hair growth. It is a lunch time procedure requiring no downtime and gives very effective results.
If you have mild to moderate hair thinning, a PRP Hair Loss Treatment may be worth considering. However, if you have notable bald patches, surgical hair restoration is the only choice that you have. Hair transplant is the surgical procedure that is helpful even for severe baldness, if you have denser hair in donor area. Get a Hair Transplant in Dubai today and enjoy a youthful appearance with a fuller head of hair.